ISEB Common Entrance
The common Entrance at 11+ assessments is taken by year 6 students to get a seat in Independent senior girls’ schools.
The common Entrance consists of three papers. They are Maths, English and Science. Students are entered for Common Entrance at 11+ examinations by their prep school.
Independent Schools Examinations Board – ISEB
The Independent Schools Examinations Board is probably best known for producing the Common Entrance examinations, in which boys and girls sit to gain entry to some of the best independent schools in the UK and overseas. The examinations are set by highly qualified and experienced teachers from the country’s leading schools and are regarded as the gold standard for assessment at 11+ and 13+.
Common Entrance is a set of examinations taken by boys and girls for Entrance to senior independent schools at 11+ or 13+. The Independent Schools Examinations Board devised the syllabuses, composed of Heads from the three Associations representing the leading independent schools in the country: The Headmasters’ and Headmistresses’ Conference, The Girls’ Schools Association and The Independent Association of Prep Schools. Examiners appointed by the Board set the papers, but the answers are marked by the senior school for which a candidate is entered.
Candidates may normally be entered for Common Entrance only if:
- they have been offered a place at a senior school subject to their passing the examinations
- they are entered for internal marking, in which case the candidate’s junior school marks the papers
CE Exam Maths Syllabus: NUMBERs, ALGEBRA, RATIO, PROPORTION and RATES OF CHANGE, GEOMETRY and MEASURES, PROBABILITY and STATISTICS.
CE Exam Fees:
ISEB is responsible for setting exam fees. It charges £130 for CE at 11+ fee for students who take the exam in the UK. ISEB charges £50 for CE at 11+ fee for students moving from prep school to senior parent school
The examinations are usually taken in the candidate’s current school. 11+ candidates sit examinations in English, Mathematics and Science when they are in Year 6, usually for girls’ schools. 13+ candidates also sit examinations in these core subjects, alongside papers selected from a wide range of humanities, languages and classical subjects.
The 11+ examinations may be taken in the autumn or spring term of Year 6 before entry to senior school the following September. The 13+ examinations are taken in the autumn, spring or summer term of Year 8, again before entry to senior school the following September. Senior schools decide at which stage in the year the examinations are to be taken.
ISEB Common Pre-Tests:
The Common Pre-Tests are designed to give senior independent schools information about prospective pupils’ attainment and potential before further assessment in Year 8. The tests are commissioned from GL Assessment which has long been associated with providing high-quality and reliable assessments in education. The tests are normally taken in Year 6 or Year 7 when a pupil is between 10 years and 12 years.
11 plus Complete Features:
The key features of the tests are:
- they cover verbal reasoning, non-verbal reasoning, English and mathematics
- they are online and adaptive
- they are in a multiple-choice format
- they take about two-and-a-half hours to complete (English 25 minutes, mathematics 50 minutes, non-verbal reasoning 32 minutes, verbal reasoning 36 minutes)
- the four tests can be taken together or at separate times; in the candidate’s school, at the senior school for which they are entered or at an independent testing centre
- candidates are registered by the senior school(s) for which they are entered
- results are available to all senior schools which register the same candidate, and therefore a candidate need only sit the test once for a range of senior schools
- full technical support is given to schools which use the tests
- the tests are unique to ISEB and are standardised for the independent sector
To know more about Common Pre-test, please refer to the below link:
Pre-Test Independent School Topic-wise Mock Tests:
Check out our article on 11 Plus Mock Exams Website Features to know more about it:
You can access 11 Plus Exam FREE Papers by visiting the below link:
You can access 11 Plus Exam FREE Sample Papers by visiting the below link:
11 Plus Complete solution features can be found here:
Practice and Perseverance Over Genius and Talent
|© 2022 All Rights Reserved.|